Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Prepping

On Thursday morning, I will wake up bright and early, eat my daily bowl of Cheerios, and smile because I will not be spending my day in a library. There's nothing wrong with the library...I actually love my job there. But Thursday marks the beginning of a ten-day journey for me: a journey into the Midwest, into the uncomfortable, into a taste of independence I have yet to experience.

This will inevitably be a trip of firsts for me. I have never been to Minneapolis, let alone anywhere west of Ohio. I have never flown alone and I have never devoted a week of my life to discussing Presbyterian politics. But hey, I'm young, and growing up is all about delving into new experiences and trying new things, so I had better embrace this one-time opportunity in a positive way.

What exactly will I be doing at the 219th Presbyterian General Assembly? I know that I am serving as a Young Adult Advisory Delagate (YAAD). I know that I have been placed on the Polity Committee in which we will review and vote on pending amendments to the Book of Order. I know that my vote as a YAAD counts for some things and not for others. And I know that I will probably be completely lost on the first day.

I have one more day to prepare (and pack), then it's off to Minnesota I go! Wish me luck, and I'll be sure to update as soon as I can.

2 comments:

  1. 7/1
    You will do just fine.
    Dave & Gaylene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz .... thank you for devoting a week of your life to Presbyterian polity and politics! The US is pretty cool west of Ohio .... find the grave of Hubert H. Humphrey in Minneapolis to receive "extra credit" from the Presbytery!

    and free wi-fi ..... try the hotel lobby ... that works for me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete